Saturday, October 18, 2008

Things are a-changing

I've been regularly attending my spin class since the beginning of the year, which has been a major accomplishment for me. The last few years, my attendance has dropped at the beginning of the year and it has taken me from anywhere until April or June to get back on the bandwagon. So in an effort to bribe myself (which works entirely too well), I get a paper clip to add to my chain every week I go. If I have to miss for something I can't help (illness, travel, etc.), I'm fine. But if I flake, I loose all my paper clips. The idea is that at some point, I get to cash in my paperclip chain for a prize. The problem is, I never did settle on a prize this year. I'm contemplating buying a share of a yarn CSA through Martha's Vineyard Fiber Farm (mostly for the feel-good factor, but also because this is such a rare thing to be able to do, too), but there are other things we need to be spending money on right now. And more yarn is not one of them! (I know - gasp! ;) So for now, I'm still officially prize-less.

Regardless, I've been finding the motivation to go to my spin class on my own. Unfortunately, when I went to class this last Wednesday, I realized that I have taken my last spin class for awhile. I've needed to monitor my heart rate in class for a while now, so that hasn't been a problem, but unfortunately, the angle I have to ride at does not bode well for a growing belly. I noticed it last week, but this week I was uncomfortable and the last thing I want to do is ride with bad form (not good on the knees!!). So, I'm going to have to find something else to do now. I've been walking periodically - obviously every Sunday at the park, but also on and off during the week. But I really need something else to make me feel like I'm working out.

I'm going to use the next few weeks to try out a couple things. My gym offers a water aerobics class Thursday nights (taught by my favorite spin instructor :) and they also have a pool for lap swimming. Sharp also offers very reasonably priced prenatal yoga classes three nights a week, but I still have to pay for an entire 8 class series up front. Given that we just shelled out almost $300 for our birthing class, yoga may need to wait for another week or so. I like that for each of these options, I can do them through the rest of my pregnancy or at least until I'm just not comfortable doing anything anymore. I'll keep you posted on what I decide to do!

No comments: