Wednesday, September 8, 2010

My new sewing space

As promised, here are some photos of my new sewing space. After a lot of investigation and measuring, we picked up a Norden gateleg dining room table from IKEA. We were looking for the most bang for your buck, but we also wanted to buy something that would be a good addition to our furniture family in the long run. Neither of us are fans of buying furniture specifically for a rental, so if you look around our house, you may notice that everything (for the most part) coordinates and can be used for a variety of purposes wherever we may land next (hopefully in a house!). The bookshelves and dressers can be mixed and matched for kids rooms or a master bedroom or an office. The key to a furniture addition for us is: what can we also use this for?

So when it came to buying something for a dedicated sewing space, we asked the same question...and quickly ruled out most sewing cabinets. We found a couple potential IKEA options, but what we both liked about this particular piece of furniture, besides being solid birch, it can be as small as 11 inches wide or as big as nearly 60 inches. It also has drawers on both sides, so I can totally see this as a his/hers (or whatever they end up being) kids' desk. It would also make a great cutting table for a future studio/craft room...or it may just stay my sewing table! After all, I really like it!

I leave the right leaf up all the time and slide my machine to the back. When I work I pull out the left leaf and either use it for quilting space or cutting space. I also use one of the center drawers for my thread bits or fabric trash as I work. I also put a little TV tray next to the sewing table (against the wall - you can't really see it) that holds a current project basket and my sewing box when I'm not using it.

I even set up a pressing station on the dining room table for quilt projects or when I don't need to pull out the whole ironing board (something I still need to take out and put away whenever I use it). Plus my table now faces the TV, so even though I don't generally watch stuff when I sew, its nice for those times I just want it on for the company.

4 comments:

Shan said...

Ooh, I love it! It's the perfect sewing nook! :)

Lori Knepp said...

This is so great. Your own special place! It is such great utilization of the space and the furniture. Yeh!
Mom

Kezdamma said...

That looks very useful. You guys did a great job picking out just the right thing for your projects.

Krista said...

I haven't had a chance to pop over to see your blog in so long. I'm doing a little catch-up tonight. I'm so jealous of the sewing desk thing. What is the name of that piece of furniture in Ikean. I don't think I've ever seen it and wonder if they even sell it here.