Friday, February 18, 2011

2 Year Check-up

Elliott had his 2 year well-baby (I mean check-up!) appointment the day after his birthday. Apparently he is officially a kid now and no longer a baby. Not only does this mean we have to start paying co-pays for check-ups (well-babies are almost always co-pay free so people will go), but he also got to use the big-kid scale instead of the baby 'vegetable' scale for his weight. This however was not something he was super happy about...although really, it wasn't the scale that was the problem, it was going to the doctors ;)

We have been expecting Elliott to start 'catching up' at some point size-wise, given he is not exactly from petite stock. He weighed in at 26 pounds and measured 34 inches tall. This puts him on the growth chart at 25% for weight and 40% for height, so I guess he is starting to catch up! Now, my opinion about the validity and significance of The Chart hasn't changed, BUT we can use the chart to clearly see where Elliott is in comparison to himself and his own growth rate. He was previously at the 5-10% range in weight and about 25% in height, so clearly he has been doing a lot of growing in the last 6 months!

This appointment also proved mama to be a big fat liar. In an effort to begin the process of displacing Elliott's fear of the doctor, I told him all about his visit and what the doctor was and was not going to do that day. Key point: I told him he wasn't going to have any shots and that nothing was going to hurt. They were just going to look at him. Ugh. Apparently there was a booster he was due for which I didn't realize. Oops. Not a happy camper. As soon as the doctor left the room he started asking for his clothes - shoes...kaulks (socks)...pants..., since he knew clothes-on meant we were leaving. Needless to say, he was already crying before the nurse even came in to give him the booster. He cried through the shot and was still crying as the nurse told me she would update his vaccination card and leave it at the nurse station for us. As she was leaving and Brad and I were saying thank you and goodbye, Elliott stopped crying and told the nurse "thank you". It took us all by surprise and the three of us were caught between it being the funniest moment and also the sweetest. Brad and I may have even teared up a bit. Man, I love this kid :)

1 comment:

Lori Knepp said...

Elliott is doing so well. He is very sharp and his understanding is amazing. It's nice to see the progress and how it compares with others. But you are right. The important thing is his own progress and the fact that he is healthy and such a happy boy! He is very unique. You guys are doing a good job. Love, Mom