Friday, February 20, 2009

Elliott's First Two Weeks

Its hard to believe I was giving birth to Elliott two weeks ago. Its simultaneously felt like ages ago and just yesterday. In the last two weeks, we've had several firsts and hit some major milestones. We are getting the hang of things and slowly things are starting to feel more natural. I won't lie - its been like living in a different world. I also had a huge hormone dump in the middle of the first week home that left me feeling not much like myself. But beginning the following Tuesday, I've felt more and more back to normal and with that I've starting doing more things 'on my own' again. I made my first solo venture out of the house with Elliott on Wednesday to pick up Brad's mom from the airport. And sense then, my mom and I also ventured to the nursing store at Mary Birch for some badly needed nursing bras...and an equally needed trip to Starbucks (by the way...their new London Fog tea latte is to die for!!). He's also made trips to Target, CostCo and Babies R Us as well as his first restaurant trip. He's slept through just about everything :)



Chillin' in his swing
(sorry I took this sidewaise on my camera
and couldn't figure out how to flip it)

As for Elliott himself, he went to the doctors on his 5th day and got a clean bill of health. He had dropped to 5 lbs, 11 oz (which is normal), but by the following Friday (C-day :P ), he was up to 6 lbs, 5 oz. This also means that the nursing is going well. We've had a couple issues along the way, mostly with Ms. Lefty. She's either dumping milk or kinda clogged up. I think I'm just about back to normal on both sides, but something was definitely going on for a couple days. Ms. Lefty ended up really sore and engorged and I had a low grade fever for about 1/2 a day. I was ready to call the doctor, but then the fever went away and things started being more and more normal, so I never did.

As for C-day, that went about as well as one could hope for. We went back and forth on this decision for quite awhile and we still hadn't really decided when we booked his first doctor's appointment (when they are normally performed). But in the end, we decided to have it done for various reasons. Luckily we weren't in the room for the procedure and when they brought him back out to us, he looked completely and utterly exhausted...clearly having cried all the energy out of him. He's still bandaged but everything seems to be healing as its supposed to, but man, I think it hurt us more than it hurt him. I thought I was going to throw up the whole time he was away from us.



Hanging out at Starbucks
(He had slept through most of our visit,
but was just coming around when we were gathering up)

I guess that's it for now. We're all a bit tired after a really rough night last night...our first really and we still aren't really sure what the problem was. But I am going to try a little something different with the blog as well. I want it to be easy for us to record his milestones, so you might see an increased number of very short posts marking certain things. I don't want to feel the pressure to always write a full post...especially since I can't always get enough time to write them as they happen (its taken me 4 days to finish this post that was supposed to go up on Friday the 20th). So, things like "his umbilical cord stump fell off today" (which happened Saturday the 21st), may be popping up now and then. In the meantime, hope you are all well and I'll post more photos soon!

No comments: