Tuesday, February 24, 2009

Elliott's home nurse visit

Today we had a home visit from a nurse through the First 5 San Diego program. It was so awesome. We were able to ask a ton of questions about everything from nursing to clipping his nails. And most importantly it made me feel normal and confident as a new mom. Not to say I've got everything figured out...far from it, but at least I'm feeling like my skill set is growing and I'm getting to know this little man we now share our lives with.

As part of the visit, she weighed Elliott, who is now a whopping 6 lbs, 10 oz! This means that since coming home he's gained almost a full pound! (including gaining back the weight he lost just after birth). This also means that not only is mommy giving Elliott plenty to eat (weight gain is really the only measure of how well nursing is going), he's in the middle of his 2-3 week growth spurt...which explains a lot about the exceptionally bad night we had the other day when he basically wanted to eat non-stop for 6 hours to the utter dismay of Ms. Leftie and Rightie. (I may have had a *slight* meltdown :P )

The program also entitles us to free infant massage and baby sign language classes as well as a free 6 month developmental evaluation. They also provided lots of resources and a couple books about child development and child care. Pretty cool, I must say.

And for some added fun, here are a couple more videos...



Elliott getting the hang of the pacifier (taken 2/23/2009)



Elliott trying to figure out if he's really tired or not...I think he might be :)
(taken 2/24/2009)

No comments: