Sunday, July 27, 2008

Symptoms So Far

I thought I'd try to go back a little and record some of my pregnancy-related "experiences" so far. Like I told the doctor, I really can't complain. I haven't been entirely comfortable the last 8 weeks, but compared to what some others go through, I'm not going to complain one bit.

The only real nausea I experienced was from the end of the 5th week through the 6th week. I was pretty much nauseous all day long, but I found as long as I kept a little something in my stomach, I could keep it at bay. I never did have true morning sickness and have been fortunate to be able to keep all my meal down, although some have been easier than others.

So far, I haven't had too many food aversions, but there have been a couple instances of random "I don't want it". Its not the smells (or at least I haven't noticed it being that) but just a random certainties that I will die if I have to put food X in my mouth. One day it was even the fish tacos I've been craving all morning. I finally sit down and nope not only did I not want them any more, they grossed me out. But I had just ordered my lunch and the last thing I was going to do was throw it out, so I ate them (well most of them)...and haven't wanted a fish taco since. I think the saddest thing that fits into this category is quinoa. Quinoa is something I'd been meaning to try forever. Its super healthy and one of the recommended pregnancy foods, so we finally got some at the very early stages of my pregnancy. I really enjoyed it with my dinner and as leftovers the next day, but now, no way.

I think along similar food lines has been my inability to plan meals, because what I don't want can drastically change from one day to the next, it has been very hard for us to do our normal grocery shopping. We eat most dinners at home and generally did our week's shopping on Sundays. Now I have no idea what I'm going to feel like and I don't want to spend money on foods that might go to waste. So, we've been having to make a few more mid-week store runs than normal and it is helping.

The meals are also challenging when I have had to limit the size of my dinner. Around week 8 to the beginning of week 10, I was getting really full at night. I was so uncomfortable, I was having trouble sleeping. It felt like I ate a huge Thanksgiving meal and the went to bed...every night...even with the fairly small portions we usually eat at dinner. Eating smaller meals did help and the full sensation has decreased dramatically over the last week or so, which means, I can actually get back to sleep after my required trip(s) to the bathroom.

Hmm, what else...I think the only other thing I haven't mentioned (except for my craving for Honey Nut Cheerios) is my energy level. I haven't had consistent problems with exhaustion, but random days. Fourth of July weekend was one of them. I had grand plans to do a lot of cleaning out and organization and ended up just sleeping. I also got really tired during some errands we ran on Friday. I knew I was getting tired, but had no idea how tired I was until I started crying after biting my lip. It was straight to bed with me and after a good nap, I started to feel human again!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

One thing that always started happening to me around the third month you will want to watch out for is faintness. I only fainted once in all my pregnancies and that was after vomiting up breakfast twice from a stomach flu and opting out on a third breakfast. The moral of this story is to keep at least a little food in there at all times. I learned that breakfast had to come before showertime in the mornings instead of my previous habits. Same went for heat and overexertion. I had to make sure I sat down and drank plenty of water. My main hint that a fainting spell was coming was my face feeling flush. If I felt an instant urge to head to the bathroom it meant I didn't catch it fast enough.

Hopefully that won't be an issue for you but it is common. So best to keep snacks and water in your bag at all times. I was occasionally caught out without anything and freaked out people in stores by having squat (helps a lot to lower yourself as much as possible-gravity and low blood pressure I assume).

Krista