Tuesday, January 20, 2009

Sleep

Ever since we told my friend Mimi about us being pregnant, she has joked about the fact that we've had entirely too much sleep in the past ten years and often reminds us to rest up now! Unfortunately, me and sleep are no longer on speaking terms. I've always slept well...well at least as long as I can remember (I can't really comment on my super early days). I fall asleep fast and could probably count my bad nights (during my adult life) on both hands. Sleep is just not usually a problem for me...unlike a certain sleeping partner I have.

But the last few weeks have been rough. I'm up every one to two hours to rotate positions from one side to the other when my lower hip/thigh starts to hurt. This is no easy process, I might add. I have pillows in strategic places on either side of me and the effort to move such a strangely shaped body is not exactly a walk in the park at the moment. And then, I might as well get up to go to the bathroom since if I don't I'll just wake up in another 15 minutes anyway...plus its just plain easier to rotate sides as part of getting back in bed. So that's bad enough, right? Well, lets add some insomnia. And boy, I have it all...can't get to sleep, can't stay asleep and up at the crack of dawn. There have been nights that I haven't been able to fall asleep until 3 or 4 in the morning, but awake again at 6 (usually starving, I might add). And if that's not enough?...can you add in some restless leg syndrome? Its common in pregnancy and seems to get me on nights I would otherwise be able to fall asleep...except for the fact that it feels like the skin on my legs is crawling.

All this means that I no longer enjoy going to bed at night (which makes me sad) because it just seems like what's the point? This has caused my regular bed time (usually between 10 and 11 pm) to slowly creep up to 1-2 am and even then I end up going to bed because it seems like I should, not because I'm tired. Last night was another bad one. By the time I actually got to sleep, I was wide awake every half hour or hour. I finally got to sleep around 8 am in time for the alarm to go off at 8:15...so we could get up and watch the inauguration. ugh.

So while you might argue this is clearly one of Mother Nature's cruelest jokes, I'm going to chalk it up to pregnancy preparation. I've decided that I can hardly wait until Lloyd gets here, because I would love to be able to sleep in two or three hour blocks again. How sad is that! ;)

No comments: