Sunday, April 12, 2009

So, 9 weeks...

I don't know where to even begin. So much has happened and changed over the last 9 weeks, its hard to even keep track. Each little milestone is such a surprise but quickly becomes commonplace as the next is reached. Elliott is doing so many things now. He can consistently hold his head up really well while he is on his belly (video to follow) and he has started rolling over from his tummy to his back. Except when drowsy, he is incredible social and just about kills me every time he is happy to see me...which has become a very rewarding experience just coming back in the room from going to the bathroom or from some equally menial activity. He is 'talking' a lot more and really experimenting with his vocalizations even a couple consonant sounds ('agoo' in particular).


At the park, taken 4/5/09

Physically, he is chubbier and some of the hair he lost since birth is starting to grow back...or at least you can see where his hair line is going to be once it fills in. He's out of his newborn clothes and almost out of his 0-3 month clothes. Some of the 3 month stuff we have is still pretty big, but there are a few things that we have been able to add to the clothing rotation. We're still not too sure about the color of his eyes. It seems like he's taken the gray from both of our eyes to create a new color all his own - almost lavender gray on the outside to khaki gray on the inside. We won't know for sure at least for the next few months, but I'm hoping they will stay gray. He's a little late for his 8 week check-up because of changing health insurance companies and managing to hit his new doctor's jury service, but we will know what he weighs next Tuesday. I'm guessing over 10 lbs, but how much? Who knows!?!

As for me, I'm more or less getting back to my pre-pregnancy body. At my 6 week postpartum check-up, I was 9 lbs over my pre-pregnancy weight. (I ended up gaining about 30 pounds total.) I think I've come down a shade from there since then, but I'm not exactly sure how much now. My hips have started to settle back to where they were and this week, my hair started to fall out again. And of course it seems that my hair is trying to make up for 9 months of no hair loss...or at least maybe that's how it feels now that I am seeing hair come out when I brush and wash my hair again. My stitches are gone but I still haven't started a regular monthly cycle and I'm still not convinced I will ever really be the same 'down there' again.

I'm also more or less back to feeling like myself again. The baby blues have basically passed, although a minor freak out now and then still happens. Unforetunately, I'm afraid the blues may come back a bit as I am starting to prepare my self for going back to work on May 4th. I wasn't able to take any additional time off due to my office being understaffed and overworked as well as the fact I will have been gone more than 5 months once my 12 weeks of maternity leave are over. I don't think it would be so bad except that it feels like everything in our life is in flux right now. Our car situation (we need to sell my car to buy an older family car), our house situtation (still trying to stay in our rental until we can buy probably no sooner than 6 months from now, but are already seeing the need to have Elliott in a separate room), my job situation (still not being sure how long I will have a job and going back to work on 20% less income...ouch), Brad's school (its creeping toward the end of the semester so its crunch time...i.e. more stress) and child care (Brad should be able to swing things, but we have kind of stalled ourselves out of alternatives - I'm scared of how much it costs as well as how long the waiting lists may be) are all taking a heavy toll on my ability to stay positive and balanced. Yesterday was pretty hard, today is a bit better, but I'm going to have to work extra hard to not let it all get to me over the next 3 weeks. I need to enjoy them and not let all this 'stuff' bring me down.

Anyway, I guess that's were things are right now. I have a few new photos and videos to post and plan to do so soon...when I can steal another few moments away.

No comments: