One of the few constants we can count on around here (besides mama's milk and dirty diapers), is Elliott's love of music. He seems to like all kinds of music but there is one CD that seem to work magic on our little man, Bon Iver's For Emma, Forever Ago. Elliott has a tendency to fight bedtime the more tired he gets...unless this CD is playing. He's like putty in our arms, so consequently this CD has become the one thing we reach for every night at bed time and it has not failed us yet (knock on wood!!).
I picked up this CD right after Elliott was born, after hearing about it quite a few times last year on the All Songs Considered podcast. They reminded me of it once again, and again, and again when it was selected over and over as one of the top albums of the year on the 2008 recap and favorites shows they put out in December. And yet, I really haven't been aware of it anyplace else.
I think there is something fundamentally ethereal and disarming about this recording. And I think a lot of it stems from the story behind how it was recorded...literally in a cabin in the woods, by just one man, Justin Vernon. The name Bon Iver is actually a take from the French "bon hiver" or good winter. He also initially self-released the album in late 2007, which I think is cool. You can get a flavor for it through this video of one of my favorite tracks on the CD, The Wolves (Act I and II).
Anyway, thank you Bon Iver. We would not be nearly as well rested (or sane) without you!
No comments:
Post a Comment