Today was the big day and I do believe by all accounts it went as well as we could have possibly hoped. It was a super early day for all of us (5:30am check in time), but that also meant Elliott was first on the list and therefore we didn't have to worry about him being hungry and not being able to eat. It also meant we got to go home earlier.
Brad and I split the hard parent duties of seeing their 12 month old go under anesthesia (Brad's job) and waking up from anesthesia confused and disoriented (my job). I won't say it wasn't nerve wracking (especially the waiting), but the hospital staff did everything they could to alleviate our concerns and make this as smooth an experience as possible. I don't think I could say enough nice things about everyone today. The doctors, nurses and staff were wonderful, especially the nurse 'surrogate,' as she jokingly referred to herself, who held Elliott when he first came out from under anesthesia before I could get back to the recovery area.
Elliott did awesome by the way, except for not enjoying having his temperature taken or getting his armband put on (and obviously the anesthesia process wasn't his favorite), he hung out, looked around and was pretty much just a groggy version of himself by the time we headed home around 10ish. He has two small incisions that luckily are internal stitches and liquid bandages, so there are no dressings to change or worry about, and was very tired today. But by this evening, he was walking around and his gremlin voice was in full force.
My two favorite parts of the day were 1) getting a call from the surgeon 15 minutes after we left Elliott saying that based on his physical exam exploratory surgery was no longer necessary - YAY!! and 2) all of us laying in bed this afternoon while Elliott (and the rest of us) slept and gradually got back to normal.
Thank you everyone for your positive thoughts and prayers. Your support meant so much to us and helped us get through this experience.
5 comments:
Jen and Brad, we are so glad to hear that the surgery went well and Elliott was a champ (of course!)
Yeah, Elliot! Way to be troopers you guys.
Mom called me yesterday to tell me how it went. I was so happy to hear that it went as well as it did. You guys made a perfectly healthy little guy there (he just really likes to play hide-and-seek).
Besides, it's probably best that you get used to him scaring the living daylights out of you early on - if he is truly his father's son. He's a BMX biker in training...
I am so glad everything went well!!
Yay for a successful procedure, and double yay for it all being over with! :)
Post a Comment