Friday, May 14, 2010

Our BIG Boy!

Elliott went to the doctors for his 15 month well baby check up yesterday. And guess what? Not only did he make it to the 20 lb mark, he flew right past it to weigh in at 20lbs, 13.1 oz!! That means he gained over a pound since we took him for his weigh-in appointment a little less than a month ago. This also means that he jumped up the percentile curve to be squarely in the 5-10% range - yay!!

He also measured 30.5 inches in height (about 30%ile) and his head circumference is 18.5 inches (about 45%ile - shall we start calling him "Head"?) I wasn't able to go to this appointment but Brad said that his doctor was really pleased with his weight :)

Unfortunately (and I forgot to mention this about his last visit), apparently Elliott is done with doctors. I don't blame the kid, I mean, he's had more than his fair share over the last 6 months. But he has gone from practically laughing through ultrasounds, to crying when the doctor just looks at him. Oh well. Fortunately, he only has one more kidney follow up ultrasound and the doctor cleared Elliott until his 18 month well baby, so he shouldn't have to be around doctors for a while!

Finally, I just wanted to share THE craziest thing that I have ever read in any of the standard well-baby handouts we've received so far. This is in the context of dealing with tantrums at Elliott's age:

"If your child holds his breath, stay calm and try not to get upset. Some children hold their breath, turn blue, and even faint for a short period of time. He will awaken within 60 seconds."

I just love how matter of fact they put it. I mean, really? Your kid is blue and unconscious, but remember: try not to get upset. Ok, I'll keep that in mind. Besides I already have a great track record of staying calm when someone (or at least a fur-person) is turning blue and not breathing as Brad and Mary can attest ;)

3 comments:

jena lee said...

What great news, Jen! Goooo Elliott!

Oh, and my kid? At his 18 month checkup last month, he was 15th percentile in weight, 50th percentile in height... and had a 90th percentile head! I'd say Elliott is rather well-proportioned! :) We call Ethan an inverted exclamation point. Maya was the same way - she "grew into" her head by about 3. :) Crazy babies....

qwyrxian said...

"Fur-people?" Did you switch from knitting to furries?

j/k. Glad Elliott is doing well!

Lori Knepp said...

Congratulations on getting to that milestone. He is so smart and cool and healthy, but I know the 20 lb mark was important to you. Now he can see the world in a whole new perspective facing front in his car seat! Way to go, Elliott1!