As part of our New Children's Museum membership, we were able to get into the Model Railroad Museum for free for the entire month of May. I jumped at the chance to plan a day out for us during the last of Brad's end-of-semester crunch time. Elliott and I met up with Robert and Meagan one Saturday and then we went back for Thomas the Tank Engine Family Day when Grandma Mary and Grandpa Larry were in town visiting after Brad's finals were over.
The models are amazing. There is so much detail. I can't get over the bridges!
And the 3-rail room has to be a highlight for sure. They have a couple small trains that kids can start on their own as well as some of the most detailed city scenes.
Just outside the museum and next to the zoo is the Balboa Park Railroad with a pretty extensive track you can ride. We took the train ride with Robert and Meagan. (Btw - I totally forgot how kids like to scream in tunnels...I'm just glad I was sitting close to Elliott as I'm sure it was a bit uncomfortable for him.)
When we headed back for Thomas the Train day, we got to see three Thomas trains running in the 3-rail room (Thomas, James and Percy...and yes, I know their names :P).
They also have a Thomas room set up for the kids with three train tables and lots of train cars. I really wish we had space for a train table...And here's a little video of the Thomas trains on the track.
Honestly, I don't know who was more excited. It was really fun to see them on the tracks and Elliott is still telling me about their eyes. And yes, we are already planning how we can get a train around next year's Christmas tree...it's a must!
1 comment:
We had such a good time seeing the trains with both of you...and I had no idea there was a whole entire lifestyle based on trains (complete with maps, clipboard, and video monitors!)
Post a Comment