Thursday, June 23, 2011

Summer Time

Ahhh, summer.  Have I mentioned how excited I am that it is summer? I know for me, as a working adult, it hasn't meant all that much to me over the last few years. Just more work weeks, weekends, and avoidance of the San Diego tourist crowds.


Even since Brad's been back in school, he's usually in summer school, so again, its usually more of the same.  But this summer seems different.
 
 

When Brad initially applied to UCSD, he planned to take the summer off if he got in.  But when we didn't find out in March or April like we initially thought we would, summer school was back on the books...until the San Diego Community College District canceled summer school all together - hello, budgetary cutbacks.


Fortunately, Brad is in such a place with his schooling that it didn't really make a difference. He would have had enough time next fall and spring to take the classes he would have needed at Mesa to apply to UCSD as a guarantee transfer in 2012 without needing summer school (thank goodness!). All this to say, even without the most awesome-est of news, that Brad is in fact heading to UCSD this September, he was going to have a summer off.


And now that we do have that most awesome-est of news, the summer seems even sweeter.  Its a great chunk of time when we can focus just on our family.


I don't think most people realize how hard it is to be in school and have a new family. Just like how the obligations of parenthood never go away, neither do the obligations of being a student when you are in school. You can never relax. There is always something that needs to be done. Something to read, something to write, something to study for. There is no down-time. Life ends up being a great balancing act. This also means that sometimes things have to dip more into the school side (during finals and major exams) than the family side. So we compensate and shift things around as needed. Because that's what partners do.


But when school's out? Ahhh...so nice!  I'm trying not to get spoiled, since I know the next three years (or so) will be busy and crazy and juggley. Which means that I'm also enjoying every moment of this summer. So far we've had such a nice mix of things to do and down-time. And I look forward to taking a bit of time off work here and there to make even more of it. In fact, a weekday trip to the San Diego County Fair is next on the agenda (the theme this year is 'cars' after all, so we couldn't possibly miss that!).


I also want to plan a beach day and hopefully a couple little getaways, one as a family and one just the two of us. The details don't really matter. The important thing is spending time with my guys and just 'being' together.

3 comments:

Lori Knepp said...

Jen:
Your posts have been so great. It is awesome to be able to follow the little nuances that we don't always have the opportunity to share firsthand. So happy for you all. We are very fortunate for each day, that is for sure. You are doing a super job with Elliott. He is truly a fine boy and getting neater every day.
Love, a proud Mom and Grandma

Shan said...

So much goodness in one post! I'm so happy that you're enjoying the summer so much! I envy that water table- we went over to a friend's house to play with one one day and of course LJ LOVED it! Enjoy the rest of the summer, lady! You deserve it!!

Krista said...

I feel you on this one. Our life is just like that during the school year. I am so lucky to have a husband who is willing to do that juggling act. This past school year seemed like a huge production, so this summer seems like a huge break to me. I have had the very same thoughts about just spending time with my family.