Thursday, September 18, 2008

Kinda Scary

I got a call from my OB today (which honestly was at first very shocking in and of itself - I kept thinking that she doesn't exactly seem like the kind of doctor who calls her patients). Then she told me that they received back my AFP results. She said that normally someone my age should have a 1/4% risk for Down Syndrome. My results said my risk was 1%. Still low, but enough that she has referred me to a specialist. So next week instead of my regularly scheduled 20 week ultrasound, we will instead be meeting with the specialist. I will have some sort of genetic screening and then the ultrasound. Ugh.

The good thing is that apparently these tests have a high rate of false positives. And not only the nurse, but also the doctor said that there was no reason to 'freak out'. That most of the time, everything is just fine, we just have to go through the hoops of double checking - hoops I have no problem going through!

No comments: