So last Monday, my mom and I took Elliott to a fairly large baby resale shop in Oceanside called Once Upon a Child (warning there's music on the main page - stupid :P). We were able to buy 7 or 8 pairs of PJs in various sizes for no more than $3.50 each. We also picked up some other great clothes for him to grow into (3 pairs of pants, a jacket, a brand new set of Osh Kosh coveralls and another romper) for a total of about $40. I had been scouting the smaller resale shops in San Diego for non-fleece PJs, but apparently they go fast this time of year. Anyway, most of the clothes we got were either still brand new or very gently used. Plus, there is something very satisfying about buying clothes this way.
The other thing we picked up (from Baby Trader in San Diego) was a full size swing for Elliott. Elliott has used the travel swing we have (also a recycle from Justin and Megan - thanks guys!) nearly daily since we got it. However, now that he is getting bigger, unless the batteries were fresh from the package and on the highest setting, the swing would start to slow pretty quickly. Since I recently realized that full sized swings have only a marginally larger footprint than the travel swings (and they can plug in!), we decided to look into a full size swing for our house and then have the travel swing at grandma and grandpa's house (since we also needed to have something there for him to sit in while we visited). We decided to buy the full size cradle swing in the Rainforest theme, since its the older Fisher Price theme and probably most likely available resale. We liked a cradle swing because the seat can turn and Elliott could swing sideways or front ways. Between the different resale shops we visited, we ended up getting one for $50! The only thing wrong with it was that it was missing one of the toys in the mobile and the music doesn't play (so sad...not). Anyway, see for yourself, I do think he likes it!
Now for the reuse portion of this post. Another baby item I was looking into was a jumperoo ever since I saw how much fun Jake enjoyed his. Again we wanted a Rainforest one, but in this case it was for quality purposes. The new ones don't seem as fun and seem really lightweight. I saw how much force a 10 1/2 month old could exert on such a toy, so I wanted to be sure it could stand the pressure. But again, this is a fairly high ticket time. I looked around and even placed a bid on a used one through eBay (I lost), but ultimately decided to hold off and keep ours eyes open for one at a resale shop. Well, destiney came a knocking. My boss who also has a baby Jake's age, came over last week and asked if I wanted to borrow hers! Um - yes! While Elliott is still a little small for it (his feet don't really reach the ground and he sits a little low in the seat to play well with the toys), he likes to 'jump' in it. And the best part? When he's done, we just give it back! One less thing to store!
Finally, we are in the process of switching Elliott from his bassinet into a regular crib. Last week he started using the arms of the toy arch as leverage to push himself around...causing the arms to unsnap from their anchors, so out that went. We also knew that we would soon need to find another sleeping option since the bassinet portion of the pack and play is only usable until they are 18 lbs anyway. Well, it turns out its going to work out for us to borrow our friends' crib (thanks Kristie and James!). I am especially happy for Elliott to use this crib as it has already been used by three great boys...so the good mojo vibes are clearly better on this crib that a new one from IKEA. :)
Okay, well that's about all for morning nap time...have a great week everyone!
No comments:
Post a Comment