Sunday, July 5, 2009

Crazy July 4th

Yesterday was a rather interesting day. It started at 6:45 in the morning when I got up to go to the bathroom and walked into wet carpet in the hallway. The carpet was soaked where we had had the leak last February, so I assumed that the pipe had burst again. I told Brad what was going on after I walked around to assess the damage. The strange thing was that the lights in the bathroom and kitchen didn't work, but the fridge was still on. I was looking up the property manager's emergency number when Brad realized that our entire kitchen counter was also soaked. We looked up and realized the water was coming through the ceiling. Ugh.

Oh and this is why the lights didn't come on:


Yup, that's water. Gross, discusting brown water from upstairs. Apparently, a unit on the 3rd floor had a leak in the toilet (not sewage, just running water - apparently that's ceiling tea in the light fixture ;), that went straight down into the four units below. Luckily the lady on the second floor next door caught 150 GALLONS of water in trash cans which kept it out of our lower units. Anyway, needless to say, our place is a mess. Fortunately, we are working with a truly awesome water extracter guy (I'll gladly give anyone his info if you (unfortunately) ever need his services). Our bathroom currently has no ceiling or floor and missing part of a wall (ETA - ALL THE WALLS!!!). Our kitchen will see a similar fate today. We also have the super duty blowers and dehumidifiers drying out the walls, flooring and carpet. Hopefully the repairs won't take too long and its looking like we will be getting new kitchen and batheroom flooring out of the deal.

The good thing is that there really wasn't anything we could do yesterday to help so our plans for the day weren't canceled. And THAT meant we got to meet this lovely new little lady:

Lucy James
born: 6/22/2009
weighing 7 lbs. 4 oz.

It was so much fun to see and hold a new little baby again. Its also crazy how Elliott looked like such a 'big kid' comparatively. And it already felt all ackward and weird to hold a newborn again. Considering its only been 5 months, I wasn't expecting that!


the new family

Shan and Brian are doing great as new parents and looked surprisingly well rested! Shan is also doing well and recovering from the birth and the emergency c-section that resulted. (Thank goodness for modern medicine!!)

the guys and their babies

And of course, I couldn't help getting a couple photos of Elliott:

'hey there little lady. what's your sign?'



Hope you all had a wonderful Fourth of July and I hope yours didn't involved water coming through your ceiling! ;)

No comments: