Thursday, November 25, 2010

Happy Thanksgiving!

Hope you all had a great Thanksgiving! We celebrated with a nice dinner hosted by Meagan's folks. I brought some 'energy bars' and a spinach casserole.

I have a few things to make a simplified turkey dinner at home in the next day or so because the leftovers can be almost as good as the dinner itself. I did this last year too, only I made a full turkey (my first one!). I also made myself a challenge to use the leftovers in different ways, so it didn't get old...but also to make sure I used the whole thing - a bit of a challenge when its just two of us eating a whole turkey! I took photos last year, but never got around to posting anything, so I thought I would post them this year to pass along some ideas for your leftovers.

First up, the obligatory turkey sandwich...if it were most customary, I would be down with eating a turkey sandwich for Thanksgiving dinner since I love them so much. I make mine with turkey, mashed potatoes, stuffing, gravy and cranberry sauce (the only real reason for cranberry sauce at Thanksgiving in my opinion ;).

Pulled turkey anyone? I shredded most of the leftover meat and separated it into two person servings. One night I added BBQ sauce to the turkey and made a sandwich with some coleslaw. I served the whole thing with mashed potatoes (potato salad would also work if your mashed potatoes are already gone).

I also made several cups (maybe 9 or 10?) of turkey broth by making stock from the carcass. For one meal I made a simple soup with veggies (onion and carrots), orzo and turkey.

Finally, I made one of our favorite curry dishes with turkey instead of chicken. We love the Red Thai Curry sauce from Trader Joe's and usually add green beans to the curry sauce. I just substituted turkey for the chicken and served it over basmati rice with garlic naan (also from TJs).


Hope you enjoy these leftover options!

2 comments:

Shan said...

Yay, leftovers! I still can't get over how creative you were with yours last year. So awesome! I am *so* looking forward to eating round 2 of Thanksgiving dinner today!

Lori Knepp said...

Those pictures and ideas look straight out of the Gourmet magazine-so yummy and so creative. It's so nice to share Thanksgiving as guests, but you really miss out on the leftovers-- and the house smelling so good.